In 1928 Frederick John Talbot and his wife Sarah Talbot made an anonymous donation to provide funds for convalescent and after care treatment.
Frederick John Talbot was the owner of a Sheffield steel works who observed that convalescent and aftercare services were poorly developed for manual workers. Their donation provided resources for this purpose particularly for his employees and other manual workers enabling them to recover properly and reducing the risk of a worker returning to employment too soon and suffering in consequence or by neglecting themselves.
Over the years Mr & Mrs Talbot made further donations, which were held in Trust and known as the Talbot Cuff Convalescent Fund. On their deaths they separately bequeathed a substantial part of their estate for similar aftercare services.
For a time these bequests were operated as separate Trusts until a scheme to amalgamate the three funds was approved by the Charity Commissioners in 1955. It was at this date that the Charity became known as The Talbot Trusts.
Until 1980 the Trusts provided assistance solely to the hospitals in Sheffield with grants being distributed by hospital social workers. The level of investment income had increased significantly at this time and exceeded the needs of the social workers.
The Trustees, therefore, submitted a request to the Charity Commissioners for a widening of the Trusts’ powers. This was granted in 1980 and enabled the Trustees to extend grant disbursements to other organisations and also for persons who were sick, disabled or infirm.